Report a Concern

We listen. And we appreciate knowing what we’re doing well and what we can do better. If your family has a concern, here is our process to report and resolve concerns. 

Step 1: Contact Your School 

We believe most concerns can be resolved at the school level. Start with the person closest to the situation. For example, if you have a concern about your child’s class, start by talking with your child’s teacher. If the teacher cannot address your concern, please contact your school’s principal.

Please visit our School Directory to find links to school websites, their staff directories and office phone numbers.

Step 2: Contact District Leaders

If your school’s principal does not address your concern to your satisfaction, you may contact district leaders, such as:

If your concern directly relates to district-level decisions, please contact the appropriate department. If you’re not sure who to contact, please reach us through our Contact Us page.

The Washington State Office of Education Ombudsman is also available to help you resolve complaints, disputes, and problems between families, students, and public schools in all areas that affect student learning.