Referral for highly capable services may begin as early as fall of kindergarten. You, your child, your child’s teacher and others can refer your child for review for highly capable services. Talk to your school’s learning specialist, highly capable building coordinator or counselor. Referrals may include data from tests, classroom performance and observations.
Has your child received gifted or highly capable services at a previous school district? We look at the education records of all new students, including those from military-connected families. These records can include unofficial or “hand-carried” records. If we can’t determine eligibility based on this information, we will test within two weeks or grant temporary eligibility at your child’s home school and screen your child in the next screening window.
We base placement on available data and information from families. Please contact Student Services at 360-662-1677. Or, visit us in the Jenne-Wright Administration Center, 9210 Silverdale Way NW, Silverdale.
We look at STAR Testing data and state test results in grades K-8. These tests help us find a pool of students that we would like to review for highly capable services. We will ask you to give us written permission to evaluate your child. We will also ask you to complete a rating scale form.
With your permission, we screen referred students from grades 9-12. We use the most current achievement data from the district or state and information from your child’s teacher.
Criteria for Screening
To be screened for highly capable services, your child must at least:
- Score 94 percent or above on achievement data (with consideration for margin of error) or 1.5 grade equivalent for kindergarteners or
- Have a teacher complete a consultation form, as needed or
- Have been previously identified for highly capable services
If your child meets one or more of these criteria, we will also ask your teacher to fill out a teacher rating scale. If your child hasn’t already done so, we will also ask your child to take an aptitude test. We will gather other testing data, including results from state tests. Learn more about our eligibility requirements.
We screen students three times a year.
August screenings are for all new students who participated in highly capable or gifted programs. Please note:
- Referrals are due two weeks before school starts.
- Eligibility results are available by the first day of school.
- Appeals are due by mid-September.
September screenings are for all new students who participated in highly capable or gifted program and missed the August opportunity. Please note:
- Referrals are due mid-September.
- Eligibility results are available by mid-October.
- Appeals are due by the end of November.
November screenings are for any students referred for highly capable evaluations. Please note:
- Referrals are due by the end of November.
- Kindergarten and 12th grade eligibility results are available by late January for the current school year.
- Eligibility results for grades 1–11 are available in March for the NEXT school year.
- Appeals are due by May 1.