Highly Capable Appeals

You, your child’s teacher or your school’s review team can appeal the decision about your child’s eligibility.

How to Appeal

Please fill out an appeal form (pdf). If you need a printed copy, you can get one from Student Services at the Teaching and Learning Center at Barker Creek, 1400 NE McWilliams Rd, Bremerton, WA 98311. You can also call us at 360-662-1677.

In addition to the appeal form, we also ask you to give us more data. We want to make our decisions on the best information available about your child.

Helpful data can include: 

  • Standardized test results from another school district
  • Classroom assessments or standardized achievement tests

We do not accept private testing data. 

How We Review Appeals

A district-level team will review your appeal. The team includes a school psychologist or other person qualified to interpret cognitive and achievement tests; a teacher with special training in highly capable education; and a certified coordinator or administrator.

The district team reviews each appeal on a timely basis. Team members will recommend more testing, deny eligibility, determine that a child is eligible or change placement. 

You will receive a letter about the district team’s decision.

Exit Procedure

If you, your child or your school believes that highly capable services are no longer appropriate, you can request an exit review. We will reevaluate your child and create a complete profile.

A district team reviews student profiles and performance. If we determine that your child no longer needs highly capable services, your child is exited from the program.