We reimburse you up to $600 for the cost of earning a commercial driver's license (CDL)! To be reimbursed, you'll need:
- Proof of all receipts
- To successfully complete training
- To successfully work 500 hours
Estimated Costs to Applicants
|Complete school bus driver abstract ||$13 |
|Department of Transportation physical ||$75 – $100 |
|Fingerprinting ||$70 |
|CDL permit ||$10 |
|CDL knowledge test ||$10 per test |
| CDL skills test ||$100 |
|Fee to add CDL endorsement to license ||$27 – $112 |
|New driver's license fee ||$45 – $54 |
|CPR, First Aid & AED training ||$35 |
Please note, training is unpaid until you begin driving students.
Prior to First Day of Training
- You must successfully pass a post offer pre-employment physical (POPP)
- You must be fingerprinted
- Pass the CDL permit process at the Department of Transportation (this includes general knowledge, passenger endorsement, air brakes (restriction removed), school bus endorsement — CDL Guide Chapters 1-6)
- Begin studying the pre & post trip procedures
Week One Training
In-classroom training for your school bus authorization. Focus is on policy and procedures, Washington state laws and federal regulations.
Week Two Training
Commercial driver's license (CDL) pre- and post-trip practice, behind-the-wheel training and third-party testing to obtain your CDL.
Week Three Training
Upon completion of training and testing, mentoring begins. You will drive routes with a hired driver and students onboard.